Monday, June 29, 2009

What Are We Holding Onto Sam?

Do you remember Frodo's words at the end of this part of the story?
I spent a little time with The Two Towers--middle film of the Lord of the Rings trilogy--last weekend. I watched some of the background features while I was doing laundry and bills and such.

The timing was providential. I was very weary of my 6-month commute amid the challenges of life and family, and I was feeling a tad overwhelmed. Hearing the screenplay writers talk about the choices and edits they had to make brought out more clearly the overriding theme of this middle episode: the journey is long and dangerous and difficult, but if we keep going when there is no hope left something unexpectedly good might come along and change everything. Hmmm...



 I'm a big fan of successful living and positive breakthroughs and healing and wholeness and new life. But somewhere in my very early 20's this thing called "real life" started showing up and wreaking havoc here and there. Career obstacles, girl challenges, financial losses, health issues...you all know the list and could add plenty to it! And life is wonderful one moment and then someone pulls out the rug...

I remember a Bible college president talking about a time when he felt so low as he laid in a hospital room, that he picked up the phone and anonymously called one of those hope lines. From what I remember, that seemed to make a difference for him that day. It's like Tom Hanks in Castaway, where all of life boiled down to taking the next breath. It's like Dory in Finding Nemo, and her goofy "Just keep swimming" song.

And it blows my mind that we're all so good at acting. Who hasn't reached the end of some rope along the way, and maybe even let go a few times. But we polish our Ford Explorers and paint our cozy bungalows and paste on a smile. And sometimes that's OK too, but I think everyone needs a specific glimmer of hope at some point in life.

Who remembers these lyrics from Yes's 90125 album and the song Hold On?

Hold on - Hold on
Wait maybe the answer's
Looking for you

Hold on - Hold on
Wait! Take you time
Think it through
Yes! I can make it through

Hold on - Hold on
Sunshine shine on through
Hold on - Hold on
Sunshine shine on you

I think, in that moment, sometimes a whole perky story about freedom or hope or salvation isn't helpful. For me, in that moment, just knowing that there's a God whose arms want to embrace me and not crush me, and that something unexpectedly good might come along and change everything, and that my center will still be there even if all my other circles roll away...that's enough to hold onto.

No comments: