Saturday, July 18, 2009

Music

The fall of 1988 was one of the most intense seasons of my life. I was a 20-year-old junior at North Central Bible College in Minneapolis and I felt a drive and determination to grab all of life in one huge handful.

One of my methods was to take huge amounts of time every day to connect spiritually with my Creator. It wasn't uncommon to take 2 or 3 hours a day and just pour through the scriptures and journal and walk. I wouldn't let myself go to bed until I'd had at least 75 minutes of this sort of devotional quiet time. Reckless, but amazing! More on that another day.

Flash back a few months to my sophomore year.
I had been playing bass guitar with some groups those first two years and began to experience the pop-jazz-rock-classical diversity of the city and the university environment. It was awesome! I remember coming home from the symphony one night, at Orchestra Hall, and lying in my dorm room with music overwhelming my senses. My spirit was dancing plucked double basses and pizzicato violas. There was a spiritual connection that was not unlike the soulish elation I felt in the scores of hours of prayer and meditation in the fall of 88. It was delight. It changed everything.

 This is the life that we chase after. It's the thrill that we spend for and risk for. When I talk about having Jesus at the center of my life, it's not even really a choice that I make anymore. I feel like the earth orbiting around the sun, drawing life from the warmth and energy of it's all-consuming brilliance. And the music...the music is like the wind, swirling through my world with gentle, powerful delight. It takes my breath away and gives me breath all at once.

[photo: UWSP - Old Main]
I audited music theory class in the fall of 1988, on top of my full load of classes. It was exhilarating! I learned how the eye can hear and the ear can see. Years later I got a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music Theory and Composition from the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point. I had two years (1995-97) of solid music classes, with only one science class thrown in to fulfill my requirements. I hardly left the music building during the day for two years. I played Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on piano for my second year piano juries. I sang and traveled with the concert choir. I attended dozens of concerts. I worked with the recording crew...

 So, I'm 41 and I've had a lifetime of amazing spiritual experiences and musical involvement. I've had good full-time jobs with churches leading worship, conducting choirs, directing productions, coaching ensembles. And I don't know where it all leads, and it's OK. The sun still shines brilliantly at the core of my life and the wind still breathes delight.

Almost every day I'm overwhelmed. This week I melted to a Brahms symphony and discovered a new rap/pop artist named B. Reith. Both were completely refreshing. I'll leave you with one of the most affectionate lyrics I've ever heard, from B. Reith's, Awe-Struck:

I've never seen so much beauty at one time in one place, your face
I'm awe-struck oh heaven help me
I've never been so in love with another, I'm sure there's no other
I'm awe-struck oh heaven help me

No comments: