Sunday, July 11, 2010

SIS#26 - New Vans and Old Wagons

Self-Improvement Sundays

***25 weeks complete, Ahead of pace, 69 lbs - Goal 101 lbs in 1 year***

It's been a great week, and interesting.

Why great?  I hit another 3 pound week, which feels like the tipping point of success for the goal of 101 pounds in a year.  It means I'm ahead of pace, and 1 pound per week with few occasional 2 pound week thrown in will get me to my goal.  For the first time, I feel like I've got this.

Why interesting?  In a nutshell, people are starting to look at me very differently.  Several people at work told me they didn't recognize me right away and had to walk back down my hallway again to see who "that guy" was.  Kinda fun.

But the really interesting phenomenon is the kinds of looks that people give me now.  Last year, Colleen and I had two vehicles: a relatively new Pontiac Montana minivan and an older Mercury Sable station wagon.  I was always amazed at how other drivers treated me on the road depending on which vehicle I was driving.  When I was in the Sable, they tended to cut me off, tailgate, and generally be less respectful.  When I was driving the Montana, even though it's no Escalade, they tended to wait before entering, back off, and generally be more respectful.



I'm not sure I like it, but people are now looking at me like I'm a Pontiac Montana.  I guess it goes back to the old Bible verse that says God looks on the heart and man looks on the outward appearance.

I am renewing my commitment to not be that way.  It makes me angry when people butter up management and belittle maintenance. If I'm really a Jesus guy, I am here for the last, for lost, and the least.

1 comment:

Ally said...

Woohoo! Keep up the good work! It's cool to see how steady your determination is.