Thursday, December 17, 2009

God-shaped Vacuum

“There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every person, and it can never be filled by any created thing.  It can only be filled by God, made known through Jesus Christ.” (Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662)


I've been blessed to grow up in a godly home. Can't tell you how thankful I am for that. Some would say, and I sometimes felt, that I was sheltered and naive. Still, there's been PLENTY of opportunity to breathe the culture of Manitoba, Ontario, Minnesota and Wisconsin...with modest ventures beyond. I'm not an isolationist.



But I do think there are times when my devotional connection with God has been a neglected and weak, and I've felt at least a bit of that God-shaped vacuum. Sometimes it takes a few days to realize that the funk I'm in is of my own doing, since I'm not giving enough attention to my inner life, my spirit.


Filling that God-shaped vacuum is a lifelong pursuit, one that requires faith, trust and time. That's one thing I like about the pensive Pensees of Pascal: they're deep, reflective, meditative. That's a powerful channel for God to move through in the filling of our souls.


Solomon of ancient Israel said it like this: "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." (Proverbs 4:23)

No comments: