Friday, December 18, 2009

Jimmy Buffet - Margaritaville


OK, to listen to the song while reading the post, just right-click on the link below and click "open link in new tab" or "open in new window". The music should magically play whilst you read. Make sure your sound is on...groovy!


So if Jesus showed up on the beach with Jimmy and gang, what we he say?

Nibblin' on sponge cake
Watchin' the sun bake
All of those tourists covered with oil
Strummin' my six-string
On my front porch swing
Smell those shrimp they're beginnin' to boil

Chorus:
Wastin' away again in Margaritaville
Searching for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
But I know it's nobody's fault

Yep, let's start here. Wastin' away isn't really Jesus' style, but he never seemed to hammer people who were wasted...or on the way. "Wastin" has the idea that there was something really great and worthwhile here and now it's broken or missing. And it seems like there's a relationship gone bad, whoever's to blame. So this is pretty much why Jesus even showed up on earth.

I don't know the reason
I stayed here all season
Nothin' to show but this brand new tattoo
But it's a real beauty
A Mexican cutie
How it got here I haven't a clue



Goofiness. My life stinks so who cares if I end up with a little chickie permanently stamped on my body by mistake. It's meaningless.

Wastin' away again in Margaritaville
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
Now I think
Hell, it could be my fault


Pretty interesting that the realization is dawning that dude in the story might have actually contributed to the problem.

I blew out my flip-flop
Stepped on a pop-top
Cut my heel had to cruise on back home
But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

Stupid as it sounds, I can relate to this...life is about half an inch deep when you're talking about flip-flops and pop-tops. And the booze (or insert whatever medication or addiction here) helps you just get to another day, which beats the alternative. And in a way the hopelessness has hope to it, because he's hanging for something...for the possibility of a turn for the better.

Wastin' away again in Margaritaville
Searching for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
But I know it's my own damn fault
Yes and some people claim that there's a woman to blame
And I know it's my own damn fault

To the wastin' away, Jesus says "I've got a plan and purpose for you that's so much more than this." To the relationship that went bad, Jesus says "Hang out with me and we'll find a way to do relationships without all the drama." To the "it's my own damn fault", Jesus says, "So what if it is?! The only perfection comes with forgiveness and fresh starts."

Jesus said in Matthew's Gospel (11:28) "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." He brings forgiveness, healing, purpose, strength...

Jesus loves us enough to find us in Margaritaville and help us start over with him in the real world, with real life.

And why not go back to the tropics with someone you care about and try a different approach!


No comments: