Friday, February 19, 2010

Of the Imitation of Christ, XLVIII.6 - Thomas a Kempis

We have this tension between connecting and relating to the earthy world we walk in, and connecting and relating to an all-powerful, sinless God. Good thing we have Jesus as an example, since he modeled for us exactly that. Tough assignment, but what else are we going to do for our three score and ten, eh?

One of the classics I enjoy here and there is Of the Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis. He was a Catholic monk and lived from about 1380 until 1471. This devotional work has stood the test of time. Here are a few of his thoughts on what we treasure...





"And for this cause, thou that art truth itself hast plainly said, Where thy treasure is, there will thy heart be also. (Matthew 6:21)


If I love heaven, I willingly muse on heavenly things.


If I love the world, I rejoice at the felicity of the world, and grieve for the adversity thereof.


If I love the flesh, I shall fancy oftentimes those things that are pleasing to the  flesh.


If I love the Spirit, I shall delight to think on things spiritual.


For whatsoever I do love, thereof I do willingly speak and hear, and carry home with me the images thereof.


But blessed is the man (Matthew 19), who for thy sake, O Lord, is willing to part with all creatures, who does violence to his nature, and through fervor of Spirit crucifieth the lusts of the flesh; that so with a serene conscience he may offer pure prayers unto thee, and, all earthly things both outwardly and inwardly being excluded, he may be meet to be admitted into the angelical choirs."

No comments: