Saturday, February 13, 2010

Prayers for Haiti #3

Link to Google News update today

It sounds like food supplies and security are relatively in order for the Haitians, at least in the Port au Prince area. Hopefully beyond as well. The current push is for shelter, at least basic housing, before the rainy season begins around May 1. While relief efforts are growing in efficiency (that was my prayer last time), the need is still great as we knew it would be for a long time.

So tonight we pray for shelter.





Psalm 61

For the director of music. With stringed instruments. Of David.
 1 Hear my cry, O God;
       listen to my prayer. 2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
       I call as my heart grows faint;
       lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
 3 For you have been my refuge,
       a strong tower against the foe.
 4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
       and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
       Selah

So Father, yes, we pray tonight for the push for shelter in Haiti. There is fear. There is desperation. There is tension and distrust. And I pray for leadership with the character to deal with people who may challenge the very ones coming to their aid.



By faith I see cities of tents and lumber-framed shelters built up to provide at least the basic needs of these people. I see kind crews of workers, exhausted but pushing on to put up another row of shelters and to haul another load of equipment.


I pray for the shelter of your wings to envelope Haiti. I pray these beloved people would feel the arms of God in every blanket pulled around their shoulders. Warm, dry, safety and relief. Come Lord.


No comments: