Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bold and Broken


Matthew 5:3
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Poor, like a cringing beggar. We can’t create our own right-standing before God. He’s too perfect. We’re too messed up. Our right-standing before God comes through Jesus. Our personal righteousness is worth about as much as a pile of dirty rags.

So there’s this humility that says “My spiritual wholeness on this earth and my eternity in heaven are completely beyond my abilities and completely in the hands of Jesus.” But how do we reconcile this brokenness with the boldness of living in faith and new life in Jesus?



I’ve shaken the hand of bold, confident men and women of God who possess this “poor in spirit” quality, and it’s awesome to see those godly qualities together! Part of it is about how we handle pride.

The Bible uses pride in a positive sense a few times and in the negative sense many times. Maybe a 1:4 ratio. What that says to me is that we better be VERY CAREFUL with pride, and here are a few guidelines.

First, pride in our heritage can be a positive thing. But we are also warned strongly not to let that be a substitute for true, fresh relationship with God.

Second, in the mentoring relationship, good pride can be felt from student to teacher and from teacher to student. Again, this is in the context of reverence for God and gratitude for His goodness.
(2 Cor 8:24)  Therefore show these men the proof of your love and the reason for our pride in you, so that the churches can see it.

Third, we are told, without restriction, to boast in who God is and that we know Him. We also boast in the cross because it saves us, and in our weakness because it shows God’s strength.
 (Psa 44:8)  In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever. Selah
 (Jer 9:23-24)  This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, (24) but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.

Fourth, we can be proud of who we are in God, without using that to compare or cut others down.
(Gal 6:4-5)  Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, (5) for each one should carry his own load.

Master, help me to be bold and broken before you. You’ve captured my heart, and my spirit runs to you. I love the strength and wholeness that comes with godly character, so please don’t leave me as I am. I’m so thankful you accept me exactly how you find me, but you love me too much to leave me there. I’m willing…

No comments: