Saturday, March 13, 2010

SIS#9 - Self-Improvement Sundays


***8 weeks complete - ahead of pace (>24 lbs)***

I took some focus off the weight loss this week in favor of another major project: the headaches! It's not that I always deal with headaches, but I really should own stock in Excedrin Tension Headache! So, I've tried all sorts of things to make progress and I decided this week that I'm sick of making progress! I'm ready to be done with it. So Monday I decided I'd go cold turkey the next day. No small feat since I've been clipping at 2-10/day for probably 2-3 years, and there was always another variation in the past.

I decided, for the first time in maybe a decade, I'm going to let my body crash when I need to. I'm done with the over-the-counter chemicals to push farther and always be ready. Day 1 was about as expected, but a little better. I had to leave work a couple hours early and slept a good portion of the evening to keep the tension back. Then there was the eerie feeling the next day...the feeling that I will allow myself to drop whenever and wherever, but not more pushing. Day 2 already was better than Day 1 and I didn't have any major headaches until Friday. Friday was tough, but I was determined to take it or die trying! (a bit dramatic?)
Long story short, it's been OK. No ETH  since Monday and I feel the natural drive and energy surging as I hoped and kinda knew it would. This is a pretty significant life goal for me, and another major step towards improved health. It feels a bit flaky to me, to allow myself to be down. I think the net effect will be positive though.

The weight is still on pace, though. Not the most productive week I can recall, but not the least. My brain feels more at peace and I feel sharper and more emotionally aware.

The heel is coming along. I'm just beginning to test it with some short walking. Blood pressure has dropped fairly dramatically and recent cholesterol numbers look better.

Our weekly check-in continues to keep me focused as well. Oh yeah, and I can begin to sing that Pants on the Ground song with a bit more authenticity. ;-)

A victory psalm...God, in your vast awesomeness, thanks for caring about these small but vital details of my life.

Psalm 93

 1 The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty;
       the LORD is robed in majesty
       and is armed with strength.
       The world is firmly established;
       it cannot be moved.
 2 Your throne was established long ago;
       you are from all eternity.
 3 The seas have lifted up, O LORD,
       the seas have lifted up their voice;
       the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.
 4 Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
       mightier than the breakers of the sea—
       the LORD on high is mighty.
 5 Your statutes stand firm;
       holiness adorns your house
       for endless days, O LORD.

No comments: