Friday, March 12, 2010

Some People Gotta Learn the Hard Way

So I was reading the story of Cain and Abel early in the book of Genesis the other day. This powerful verse jumped out at me again as it had in the past. Cain seemed to learn the hard way, if at all. And before he infamously slays his brother, God pleads with him with these words:

Genesis 4:7 - "If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."

In one sense it's a stretch to take these words to heart. After all, the end of the story shows Cain as a convicted murderer, of his brother no less! In another sense, though, God's pre-crime words work for all of us. Do what's right! Make good choices while you are able, before the lure of the act is too strong.


Why is it that some have to learn the hard way? DC Talk had a song like that a few years back.

"Some people gotta learn the hard way
I guess I'm the type of guy who has to find out for myself
I gotta learn the hard way
I'm on my knees and I'm crying for help."

But I think the point of the Genesis story is that we have the choice about whether to learn the hard way or not. That strikes me as a choice for wisdom, learning from someone else's mistake. Not always having to feel the pain of the consequences ourselves.

Wisdom isn't usually very exciting. It's meat and potatoes. It's early to bed, early to rise. It's routine.

So God give me wisdom today. Help me to choose the straight and level path which you choose to bless.

No comments: