Friday, April 2, 2010

The Apostle's Creed


I worked today, Good Friday. No break for a noon service. No early outs. But I still felt reflective as I usually do. What's special about today for me? What awes me? What gives me pause?

This year, the idea that grabbed me particularly was the unique nature of Jesus and the Christian story. Yes, I understand there are hundreds of variations of how Jesus-following is carried out in faith communities today, but it's the ancient bedrock of Jesus' resurrection and "the faith" that captivated me today. And not just because it's old, but because of the reality of relating to my creator and seeing him move in my world.

I played bass in college for the Chorale when we did the Gospel Mass: a black gospel musical rendition of the  liturgy of the Apostle's Creed. It nails some things down. It's not just, "Hey, I'm spiritual and nice to people." Jude 1:3 says it like this: "Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints."


The Apostle's Creed...



I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.  He descended into hell.

The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.

Amen.

No comments: