Sunday, April 25, 2010

SIS#15 - I Dodged a Bullet

Self-Improvement Sundays

***14 weeks complete - ahead of pace >48 lbs - Goal 1 was 40lbs, Goal 2 is 60lbs by July 11***

I got an email this week on risk factors for diabetes. I have really felt this disease bearing down on me the last few years as it has so many in North America. I give software support to a Diabetes Education group and I see how the demand for their services continues to grow. No, I haven't had abnormal lab results or anything showing a pre-diabetic condition, but I had a sense that if I hung out at 300 pounds it would eventually catch up with me.

I feel pretty sure that with my steadily dropping weight and dramatically altered diet, I'm in much better shape to avoid diabetes now. I dodged a bullet! Whew! Yes, I hit my 50-pounds-lost mark this week. The crazy thing is that I spent two days at a buffet-laden conference center in Madison and ate out at Famous Dave's and P F Chang's and stuck to my guns the whole way!

I was asked this week where I continue to get food ideas for this new lifestyle. Col says just Google Weight Watchers recipes and there are many options with points already calculated. I highly recommend settling on a group of staples that you like well enough to go back to over and over. I posted many of mine a short while back. You can link to it here.

So my medication list is beginning to shrink. My medical problem list is beginning to shrink. My personal healthcare expenses are beginning to shrink. My concerns about my body in the years to come are beginning to shrink. I am beginning to shrink!

Of course it feels great, and I want to encourage you all to make a healthy choice today!

No comments: