Sunday, April 11, 2010

SIS#13 - What's Up with the Blogging?


***12 weeks complete - ahead of pace >44 lbs - Goal 1 was 40lbs, Goal 2 is 60lbs by July 11***

Great week! It might actually be my best week of the year so far! Dropping 4 pounds in the 12th week is crazy good. I'm very competitive against the pace I've set, so I relish the opportunity to pad the cushion of my lead over the pace. I'm going with 47 pounds lost, even though my unofficial evening weigh-in had me at 48. Sets the stage for another good week.

So, if you're tracking with me at all, you know that blogging my weight loss has been a key component to my success to date. You all keep me accountable. But perhaps you've had a chance to nose around my links a little. Blogging has become an outlet for me on more than one front.

This blog, Evan of the North, started as Evan's Blog on Facebook only. The idea was to flesh out my life for people. Most know that I'm a devoted Jesus-follower, but how does that look day to day in my case? Lately it's looked a lot like a fitness magazine or a biggest loser spin-off. Many more angles ahead.

I've also got a blog with the intent to encourage us in our daily connection with God: the Humble King Devotional.
Fun new twist, four like-minded friends have agreed to contribute to that blog as well. So I love how that's developing and see it as a real iron-sharpening-iron piece moving forward.

The latest addition is the Northwoods Compassion blog. "Thoughts on the intrinsic compassion of conservatism in public policy." This is an attempt to be involved in the public discussion of legislation and government, as seems wholly appropriate in democracy-based countries such as the US and Canada. My particular focus this year is the Wisconsin 7th congressional district race between my guy, Republican Sean Duffy, and 41-year incumbent, Democrat David Obey. I'm meeting with a Wausau-based group tomorrow night to get to know Sean's new campaign manager.

Somewhat related is my For the Little Ones blog. I'm far from satisfied with the discussion of the sanctity of life for the unborn in our culture. I'm thinking it through publicly. Company and comments welcome!

And, last but not least, the Bar Stool Gospel blog. These last two seem much more occasional in this season, but you might enjoy this unique approach of sharing the Jesus-story through the lens of classic rock tunes. So far I've posted with Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, John Lennon's Imagine, and Toto's Rosanna.

One of my life goals is to talk to my town. Friendship seems to only run so deep until we have a chance to get a glimpse in the deeper thoughts, experiences and convictions of our friends. I can't tell you how enriching this has been, getting to know so many of you better in this way. It's very relational for me, but not just in the "let's tailgate dude" kind of way. I love the deep humanness and spirituality I see in my friends and their comments.

So weight-loss is a small part of my story, which is a big part of why it's succeeding in my opinion. I'm not consumed with food, I'm consumed with life! Thanks again for your part with the accountability. To the dozens who are tackling challenges along with me, let's roll!

By the way, if you also like to blog, post a link in the comments so I can come check out your place and interact with you that way. Comments and feedback here are always welcome!


No comments: