Friday, January 1, 2010

Dwell - Vineyard Music

If you've never experienced the Dwell worship project, I encourage you to check it out here. This track is pretty slow and intense, but it's not your mom's church music (so to speak...I guess some of your moms would like it).

It's a long, sort of British-produced sample intro, moving into hand percussion and a digital delay guitar riff. Lots of vocalizing and no one's in a hurry...

(Remember to right click on the title link and click "Open in new tab/window" if you want to listen while reading.)

Dwell


Dwell in the midst of us
Come and dwell in this place
Dwell in the midst of us
Come and have Your way

Dwell in the midst of us
Wipe all the tears from our faces
Dwell in the midst of us
You can have Your way


Not our will, but Yours be done
Come and change us
Not our will, but Yours be done
Come sustain us


I've led worship with this song, as well as singing it with all sorts of groups. Usually what gets me most with it is the whole idea of God being with us, calling him to not leave us alone here. That's certainly appropriate on the tail end of the Christmas season. God broke from the eternal timelessness of heaven into the limitations of a time-bound, helpless infant in the care of faithful parents. And in the whole enterprise of his sinless life and passionate self-sacrifice for our forgiveness and passage to heaven, his Spirit was at work and continues at work in the hearts of men today. Awesome!

But that's not what's poignant to me tonight. "Not our will but yours be done." This is right out of the Lord's Prayer..."your kingdom come, your will be done." This is how I enthrone God in my life, through obedience, through bowing in recognition of his awesome worthiness as Creator, Forgiver, King. His gentlemanliness in allowing me to choose or reject him is what allows me to truly love him as child and friend, not as shackled, subservient slave.

And the truth of this moment, where my knee is bowed in reverence, sets everything right in my world. All of the confusion about right and wrong, priorities, purpose, fulfilment...all of those questions are answered here. Details remain to be worked out, and the Holy Spirit dwells and stays to help with all of that.

And I say "You can have your way," and I'm set free in a way that is foolish to some, incomprehensible.

Have your way, Jesus. Your will be done, your kingdom come in my heart. Please stay with me tonight.

No comments: