Saturday, January 23, 2010

What Makes Us Different

I don't remember the day, although I could dig it out of an old journal. But I do remember words that have proved to be some of the most profound I've ever heard. A pastor-teacher named Rick Howard guest spoke at our college chapel and I made my way to the special evening session, expecting.

"What makes us different is how we respond to God."

At first blush, the statement is intriguing. Most would say there are dozens of categories more significant than the "responding to God" category.

Red states and blue states represent rancorous political debate in the US. Liberal and conservative and power struggles and positioning. Would Rush Limbaugh and President Obama agree that politics is not our greatest divide?

And remember "Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus"? Seems like John Gray showed some insight at least so far as helping men and women realize their differences. And this one might be deeper than politics. We'd probably have more takers on the idea that this is our greatest divide.



What of wealth and poverty? This is on display as superstars donate millions to quake-ravaged Haiti. And that global disparity changes only by degree across our local communities. One kid wears hand-me-down sneakers on his walk to school while another cruises in style in his Lexus sedan. Don't their families represent the most polarized aspect of society?

That seems true until you start thinking about race. Ethnic diversity gone wrong can move from differences to disassociation to hostility and even violence!

So our world can be sliced many ways, and each holds merit. And Rick Howard's claim becomes more audacious the longer we consider it.

What makes us different is how we respond to God. I buy it because it speaks to a deep connection with our Creator that alters our character in a deeper way than politics, gender, money, race, education, or anything else.

I'm reminded tonight of the story of Samuel. The young boy in ancient Israel was dedicated to God as a youth and brought by his family to learn from and serve with the priests. His most famous moment as a child, you might recall, was hearing God's voice in the night and responding by delivering a very challenging and needed message to Eli the priest. (1 Samuel 3)

An old poem ties together Samuel's moment with our idea of responding wholeheartedly to God. I want this for myself and I pray it for my wife and kids as well.



O give me Samuel's ear,
The open ear, O Lord,
Alive and quick to hear
Each whisper of Thy Word,
Like him to answer at Thy call,
And to obey Thee first of all. Amen.

No comments: