Friday, January 22, 2010

Prayers for Haiti #1




The Haiti benefit was on TV tonight. I was challenged as I watched footage of Haitian men and women being pulled from collapsed buildings, literally singing thanks and praise to God before, during and after. Tragedy stretches and tests our faith. I think there's a deep confidence in faith that "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord."



Beyond that, though, there's also a sweetness of divine presence in the place of desolation and desperation. God's Spirit is drawn to suffering. We know this because Jesus spent so much of his life bringing healing and hope to the broken ones. He's the humble king.

So I want to pray for Haiti, tonight and on many nights. They will have many nights of suffering. I will have many nights of prayer.

So God, tonight I ask you for compassion. Compassion in my heart and all over Canada and the United States and beyond. I pray that the faith of the Haitian people would stir faith in our hearts. Jesus, you are all compassion. Move in our hearts to love and to pray and to give.

1 John 3:16 "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers."

*****
Many of you will have favorite charities by which to donate and get involved. You're most welcome to comment here and make them known. I personally know some guys who were literally en route back from an orphanage project in Haiti when the quake hit. I trust the compassion and dedication in the leadership they are offering here. Donations may be made and more information gotten at http://www.welcometothewell.org/.

No comments: